Tuesday, March 9, 2010

This could be Eternal

Movies tell us that weddings are the best places to find someone, but I think there needs to be a disclaimer; just like with new medications: this could lead to intense dating, proposal or marriage.

He was one of the sweetest guys I have known and I got the opportunity to drive him to and from a wedding we both attended. He spoke a maximum of 10 words on our way there, which mostly came from my continual questioning. He must have figured I would put him through this again on the way back if he didn’t initiate the conversation. We actually spoke the whole 4 hours back to the university. I dropped him off at his apartment and didn’t think much about things. Later that week I ran into him, we talked on my way to class and he was there when I got out of class, so we talked some more. He asked me to go to a dance with him that the university was having; it was a lot of fun, but I could tell from that date how different we were and that he needed someone a little more on the softer side; but we could and would be the best of friends. A day or so later I was in the library and saw him out of the corner of my eye, coming towards me. “How did he find me?” I kept thinking. He came over and told me that I needed a break from studying and he was prepared to help me with that task. He kindly asked to take my books, but I had a major test coming up and I didn’t think that would be the best idea. He finally grabbed my books and made a break for it; with me running behind trying to get them back. We threw them in a locker and said, “Now you’ll just have to come with me.” He head towards the park near by, with me fuming behind him. As we got there I noticed that there was a blanket and a pinic basket; yes we had a picnic! It was actually pretty nice to have a break, get some fresh air, but after a few hours, I knew that I needed to get back to my books. He agreed this time and released my books to me, well to himself to carry for me. We headed to my apartment; he began asking all kinds of questions about me, including my middle name. After reaching the third floor where I lived, he began the normal dialog, “I had a really great time today, thank you for coming.” I gave him a hug to thank him but when I let go, he didn’t I thought and said out loud “Oh, no!” He must have not heard me because he just continued on.
“Lindsee, there is something about you that makes me want to be better…Lindsee Leah Anderson I love you and think we need to plan our lives together.”

Being in shock I said NO and that I needed to go. He begged me to know what was wrong, I quickly replied,
“You don’t even know me.”
“That’s what we’ll spend our lives doing,” he said.
“But, to really make steps forward like the one your thinking requires some simple facts.”
“I already know the ones that matter, and that is that I love you.”
“Okay, you know what... if you can answer some simple questions then I’ll think about it. What is my dad’s name?”
“Jeff.”
“No, it’s Clay. What is my favorite color?”
“Pink.”
“Are you kidding me? Red”
“But pink is a hew of red”
“Alright easiest question, what is my favorite food?
“Salad!”
“What? it’s mashed potatoes!”
“See, you don’t know anything about me, and you only learned my middle name a few seconds ago. You are so sweet but we are too different I’m loud and you’re not, I would eat you alive.”
He looked at me as though I had ripped his heart out and done a Mexican dance on it, which in honesty I had; however, he smiled and walked away like a gentleman.

And if I remember correctly he was married shortly after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment