So I have grown up with amazing brothers. I have truly looked up to them and trusted their every word. This past year I kind of lost myself...well I didn't realize it until I had a conversation with my brother. I expressed to him how I was tired of dating and didn't understand why it was so hard. I am willing to to try anything (a good motto to live by, because you never know what is beyond a cover) and yet I am no where close to anything or anyone. I think it was the third time I've cried in front of my brother...something he doesn't really know how to handle. This brother and I aren't the closest but yet I know in a minutes notice he would come to my aide. That is why it was so strange that on this night I went seeking his assistance. He honestly told me what he thought...hard to swallow. This conversation lasted a long time and I felt the size of a pea but yet extremely powerful. We set some ground rules for "my new dating life":
1. Figure out who you are and do things you like
2. Stop dating
3. Make a list of things you want to have in a spouse and then start becoming that list
4. Don't let other people tell me how to date
5. Have faith and confidence
Number two is my favorite; but over time I've begun to see that it's true. Some of the greatest things came when I wasn't looking for them but I was in a place that they could find me. We put so much pressure on ourselves and lose faith in ourselves, we try to adapt and fit into boxes that worked for our friends, family, and neighbors. Well we aren't them we haven't done things like everyone else we are unique and things will come at the right time...we just need to put the effort in to be found just the way we are! I'm done with my soap box...you're allowed to take the stage now if you want.
I'm Lindsee, I don't understand dating! I am funny, smart, can't help but laugh at how funny life is and happen to cry when it seems unfair. And here's to another year.
I love YOU linz! Your one smart Cookie.
ReplyDeleteI think that's awesome advice! For any stage of life! Other people can tell a difference when you are content with life and confident. You rock!!!
ReplyDelete