One of my good friends knew a guy in one of his classes that was single and in his own words, “a major stud.” He gave him my number and later that day he called and asked me out for a big group date. I figured that this would be good, seeing how my friend would be there so I agreed. I was upstairs getting ready for our date, when the door bell rang. He was early and my dad answered the door. The next thing I heard was, “Coach Anderson.” I quickly put on my shoes and ran to the door, to find my date petrified to the wall and my dad smiling. I guess the class he and my friend shared was my dad’s. I helped him out the door and somehow he gained strength once in the car, but couldn’t get over the fact that I was Coach Anderson’s daughter (he said that the whole way to the hockey game in Salt Lake). I tried everything to get him to talk about anything else, but no luck.
We arrived at the parking lot where we were meeting the rest of our group. I looked through all the faces and my friend was nowhere to be found. I was on a blind date and knew no-one, this could be fun, I thought to myself. We headed up to our seats in the nose bleed section, to only discover that we still had a good 45 minutes before the game started. My date and I went looking for something to drink to pass the time. There was nothing on our floor so we thought we would go down a few floors. While waiting for the elevator, my date noticed the stairs and said, “Hey, this will be faster.” We headed down the stairs and once we reached the first door we found that it was locked. We went to the next, and it too was locked; just like all of them. Yes, we were locked in the stairwell and the only way out was to the parking lot. Neither one of us had a cell phone, our tickets nor his car keys.
I spent the rest of the evening asking him questions about himself and got no more that one word answers. I couldn’t take this boredom anymore and began banging on the door; lucky for me a man walked past, heard me and let us out. We were greeted by, “what have you two been doing?” I’m pretty sure he thought we planned on get stuck in there with his tone of voice. His friends came to the same conclusion I think.
We did go out to eat afterwards and things were looking up. We ordered our dinner but the only thing I can remember from that dinner was the chocolate shake he had that night; because it was all over the front of me in one swift move. I was beginning to think that we should call it a night and luckily he agreed. He kindly gave me his jacket to put over me and quickly left the restaurant. He was in shock and I think that is why he was speeding and got pulled over. This poor guy! The officer came to the window to do his routine; asked for the driver’s license of my date, who handed the officer his debt card. The policeman took this as insulting and asked him, in a harsher voice to hand him the license and registration. I couldn’t take it anymore and began to laugh; puzzled the officer asked why I found this funny. I explained our whole night, chocolate shake and all. He didn’t believe me so I opened my jacket to expose my white with chocolate drizzle motif. The officer laughed and gave us a warning; the least I could have done for this guy. Being grateful he seemed to loosen up a bit and we had a good talk home, so good that he didn’t signal when getting off the freeway…yes he was pulled over again, he wasn’t so lucky this time. He was beat I think at this point, why else would he miss my street 5 times. I did make it home alive and he was so scared something else might happen he didn’t walk me to the door; good thing because my dad was waiting.
WHAT A NIGHT!
ReplyDeleteWow~that is one crazy date! You are just such an amazing girl that he must have been nervous around you! :) You're awesome Linds!
ReplyDeleteGood story! I haven't heard that one yet!
ReplyDelete